The roar of the engines, sleek-lined metal under pressure begging to be unleashed, and sheer raw power. These vehicles are truly works of art from some of the greatest designers and the finest craftsmen – Car Insurance List presents its list of this year’s top 5 sports cars.
1. 2011 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera Coupe: Checking in at $237,000, the Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera is our top pick for 2011. This 5.2-liter V-10 is as much about its beauty as it is its brawn. And with 562 horses aboard, the Superleggera has been known to make F-16 fighter jets cower in fear.
2. 2010 Ferrari 458 Italia: Yes, we know, this is a 2010 machine, but we simply could not pass up the $226,000 Ferrari 458, even on a 2011 list. With 8 valves, this Italian mainstay puts out the same amount of horses as her kissing-cousin in this ranking’s top spot. The 458 also sports the seven-speed automated manual clutch introduced on the Ferrari California, allowing for greater fuel-efficiency and still enabling her to pass through 60mph in just 3.4 seconds.
3. 2011 Aston Martin DBS Volante: With a grille that is as recognizable – and as imposing – as the “S” on Superman’s chest, the $286,500 Aston Martin DBS Volante takes our third spot. This 5.9-liter V-12 is fitted with a multitude of braking systems that stops just short of requiring parachutes in taming this 510-horsepower behemoth.
4. 2011 Audi R8 Spyder: While Audi has always been synonymous with high-performance, this German manufacturer has rarely been mentioned in the same sentence with sports cars – until now. The Audi R8 Spyder is the most affordable vehicle on this list at just $160,000, and the relatively cheap price tag comes at no detriment to performance with a 5.2-liter V-10 and 518 horses.
5. 2011 Maserati Quattroporte: Last, and certainly not least is the $121,250 Maserati Quattroporte. In the four-door sports car category, this is our one and only pick. Weighing in with a 4.2-liter V-8, the Quattroporte powers its riders to their destination with 400 horsepower – this is by no means your Dad’s sedan.